In its more than one hundred and sixty years of history it has experienced great changes and transformations, representing a great part of the civil society of Barcelona and Catalonia and incorporating itself to modernity.
Due to the proximity to the Gran Teatre del Liceu (both adjacent buildings) and to their common origins there is a good part of members who owned the Barcelona’s Coliseum until 1995 therefore they usually attend operas and concerts of Barcelona's lyrical space.
Opened in November 1847 – half a year after the inauguration of the Gran Teatre del Liceu – the club offers its members an elegant setting made up of numerous and decorated rooms with outstanding examples of Art Nouveau – city's scenic overlooks, conference room and auditions, a restaurant, a library and other services.
The exuberant modernist decoration that abounds in most of the rooms is made up of an important collection of artistic works, especially paintings and sculptures, with a high artistic value and in an excellent state of preservation. In 2010, e.g., a set of engravings by Antoni Tàpies dedicated to Richard Wagner were incorporated to redecorate the old game room on the second floor.